Free HIPAA Training Downloads
HIPAA Training Q&A
- Who needs to receive HIPAA training?
- Both salaried and non-salaried members of the UCSF workforce are required to complete HIPAA privacy and information security training. Founded in 1996 but routinely revised, HIPAA is a federal law, and stands for the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. Faculty, staff, postdocs, students, volunteers, and visitors with direct/indirect access to patients are all included, and must undergo various respective training programs.
- Is basic HIPAA privacy and security training (i.e. HIPAA 101) sufficient for all employees?
- No. Basic training is an important foundation, but the level of training depends on the employee's access to patients and patient information. For instance, even employees with little or no access to patients (or patient information) are required to take HIPAA 101 (Privacy and Security Module). Employees with more access to patients (or patient information) should take a version of the advanced HIPAA module, while employees with access to the clinical systems would require additional training and approval.
- Does the HIPAA law require any sort of proof of training certificate or wallet card?
- Not at this time. However, there are several departments that may require additional security training for access to their electronic information resources. These departments may require (or provide) a security training certificate.
- Is HIPAA refresher training required?
- Yes. Workforce members receive HIPAA training upon hire; regular refresher training sessions are mandatory and encouraged as the Federal Regulations or State Privacy Laws change. The Office of HIPAA Compliance provides training for departments, programs, or staff upon request.
- Is HIPAA training required for "temp" employees?
- Yes. Employers should train all full-time and part-time employees, as well as temp employees or extra help, so as to be covered by HIPAA regulations.
HIPAA Training Videos - Sample Clip
HIPAA Training Videos
Training Format Comparison Chart
$5,000 - $10,000
NOTE: All information provided on this site is provided for information purposes only. It is not intended as legal or compliance advice and does not represent advice with regard to specific practices or undertakings. Compliance and Safety shall not be responsible for any damages including direct, indirect, special, punitive, incidental, exemplary, consequential damages, lost revenues, lost profits, damage to or loss of products, loss of data, or any claims or damages whatsoever, arising out of or in connection with your use of this web site or any linked external sites.