How to Work Safely Around Hazardous Materials

This 3 minutes safety training video covers: What is radiation, what are the radiation safety measures in the workplace, what are the different types of radiation, what is the most common route of exposure to hazardous materials, how hazardous chemicals enter the human body, what are the first aid procedures for hazardous chemical exposure. This clip was taken from a full-length training video. Click here to watch the 20 minutes full length version.

The Full-Length Version is Available on DVD!

Created specifically to assist healthcare facilities of all types in complying with federal, state and municipal Hazard Communication regulations, these products also address the major education and training requirements in these "chemical hazard" laws.

Atlantic Training's HazCom (GHS) in Healthcare Facilities Training DVD program both introduce employees to the Hazard Communication regulations and provide training on the various types of chemicals found in healthcare environments.

HazCom (GHS) in Healthcare Facilities Training DVD Covers:

  • How to Work Safely Around Hazardous Materials
  • Hazard communication regulations in healtcare facilities.
  • Education and training requirements of chemical hazards.
  • Different classes of hazardous materials.
  • Hazardous chemicals safety in healthcare facilities.
  • Proper personal protective equipment for hazardous chemicals.
  • Proper handling of chemical spills.
  • Click here to watch a FREE full-length 20 minutes preview.

Video Transcript

Most of the radiation we received about 82% is from natural resources, the other 18% comes from man made sources such as x-rays and radiations use for therapy, a small portion of that amount is made up of radiation from power generation. Some exposures may cause little or no problem while others can cause cell damage, alteration of cell DNA causing cell death or mutation. Acute effects a large doses of ionizing radiation includes skin redness and irritation, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness and even death. Chronic effects can include cancer, pre-cancerous lesions, tumors, cataracts, skin changes and shortening of lifespan. The extensive damage depends on the amount of energy absorb, time period and rate of exposure as well as organs exposed.