Orientation to Laboratory Safety Online Training Course
Orientation to Laboratory Safety is an online training course that addresses the OSHA regulations concerning general Laboratory safety. This online course covers topics specific to lab safety, such as material safety data sheets, ventilation controls, OSHA regulations in the laboratory, chemical storage, waste disposal, and more.
After successful completion of this OSHA compliant course, the student will be able to:
- Choose the correct PPE for specific tasks in the lab.
- Know what to do in the event of a laboratory emergency according to OSHA guidelines.
- Work with hoods and ventilation systems properly.
- Handle and store hazardous chemicals.
- A review of the potential dangers present in any laboratory.
- Lab Safety
- Planning experiments carefully to ensure maximum safety.
- How to use an MSDS with the chemicals in your experiments.
- Proper PPE to use when protecting eyes from chemical splashes.
- Selecting a proper lab coat and gloves that fit your body.
- Lock-out/Tag-out procedures necessary when performing maintenance on equipment.
- Information on biologically infectious materials and how to handle them properly.
- First-ad and CPR basics to use in the event of an emergency.
- When to use a Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus.
- Inspecting and maintaining PPE to ensure optimum performance.
- Types of lab equipment and how to safely work with different pieces.
- Ventilation controls and how to make sure that air is properly flowing in your work space.
- Rules for proper chemical storage to avoid spills and other accidents.
- Special considerations required for flammables.
- Information on compressed gas cylinders.
- A review of proper labeling techniques.
- What to do in the event of a laboratory emergency: evacuation routes, who to notify, and emergency equipment.
- How to use safety showers and eye wash stations.
- What to look for when you come into a new lab.