Master Driver: Rural Driving - Online Training
- Helps drivers recognize and deal with the unique set of hazards they normally don't contend with when driving on interstate highways
- This program covers:
- Sharing the road with school buses, farm equipment, and horse-driven buggies
- Tips for handling high-risk situations
- Specific driving strategies for safer rural driving
- Negotiating passing lanes and passing
- How to avoid falling into routine or pattern driving
- And more
- Course keeps your drivers' attention with dramatic footage, dynamic graphics, 3-D animation, hazard perception challenge scenarios, and "Road Wise" commentary from seasoned transport pros.
- Introduction - Explains the need to re-visit rural driving basics, because nearly twice as many traffic fatalities occur in rural areas than anywhere else.
- Rural Driving Defined - Discusses that rural driving presents different hazards and requires a different mindset and a different approach to defensive driving than interstate or city driving.
- Getting Ready to Drive - Reviews the critical need to complete a pre-trip vehicle inspection, what should go into planning your route, and checking cargo securement.
- What to Avoid En Route - Discusses vehicle breakdowns, highway hypnosis and pattern driving, and how to deal with each.
- Common Rural Hazards
- Driving - Covers speed & space management issues specific to driving in rural areas.
- Passing - Covers passing, being passed and designated passing lanes.
- Slow-Moving Vehicles - Covers how to safely deal with other road users.
- Animals - Covers how to avoid risky encounters with wild and domestic animals.
- In-Cab Distractions - Covers how to avoid becoming a hazard to others.
- Conclusion - Emphasizes the need to preparing yourself and your vehicle for a safe drive in rural areas.
Approximately 45 minutes
To ensure full course functionality, your computer will need to meet or exceed the following requirements:
- Windows XP operating system, or later
- 128 MB of RAM
- Speakers or headphones
- Video card and monitor capable of a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels
- Internet Explorer 8.0 and higher for PC / Mozilla Firefox 3.6 and higher for PC / Google Chrome 17 and higher for PC. If using a Mac desktop or laptop, Safari, Chrome and Firefox typically work, however it is advised you install the latest version of Flash. We do NOT support iPad/iPhone/Android-based tablets and devices at this time.
- Pop-up blockers must be disabled
- Flash Player 10, however the latest version is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED
- Cookies must be allowed
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 or higher
- Broadband or company-provided Internet connection
J. J. Keller's Training On Demand
Our Interactive Online training programs are purchased using Training Points so you can get as much or as little training as you need. The Training Points you purchase can be used for any course on J. J. Keller's Training On Demand.
All our Interactive Online courses are accessed through Training On Demand, which features:
- Easy purchasing and planning for the training you need
- 24/7 access to all our interactive online and streamlining video programs
- Hundreds of training titles to choose from
- Free recordkeeping tool to track and report on all training activity
- Lower cost per student the more Training Points you purchase
- One year window from date of purchase to use your Training Points