Master Driver: City Driving - Online Training
- Provides strategies to help drivers successfully navigate hazard-packed city environments
- This program covers:
- The importance of thorough route planning (taking into consideration known traffic bottlenecks, problematic traffic times and customer delivery times)
- The importance vehicle inspections.
- Defensive driving in a hazard-rich environment
- Safe vehicle maneuvers in high traffic areas
- Specific driving techniques for safer city driving
- And more
- Course keeps your drivers' attention with dramatic footage, dynamic graphics, 3-D animation, hazard perception challenge scenarios, and "Road Wise" commentary from seasoned transport pros
- Introduction - Explains why city driving is a training topic that needs to be revisited from time to time, because of the unique hazards it poses to CMV drivers.
- City Driving Defined - Discusses that no matter what size, every city is unique and offers up its own set of challenges, and that drivers have to stay in control of the things they can control – themselves and their vehicle.
- Getting Ready to Drive - Reviews the critical need to complete a pre-trip vehicle inspection, what should go into planning your route – with an emphasis on asking for good directions ahead of time, and checking cargo securement.
- Driving in the City - Discusses congested traffic, pedestrians, the challenges of maintaining a space cushion, tailgating, and the effects of adverse weather.
- Common Problem Areas
- Railroad Crossings - Covers the safe way to approach and deal with them.
- Intersections - Covers how to safely manage passing through them and managing traffic signals.
- Turns - Covers the need to safely execute right- and left-hand turns in city environments.
- Backing - Covers the need to avoid, when possible, and how to safely execute backing maneuvers in the confines of a city.
- Accidents and Breakdowns - Covers how to deal with an accident or breakdown on busy city streets.
- Driver and Cargo Security - Covers tips to avoid being a victim of cargo and/or vehicle theft.
- Conclusion - Emphasizes that with a basic training topic like city driving, it's what you learn after you know it all that counts...and makes you a safer driver.
Approximately 45 minutes
To ensure full course functionality, your computer will need to meet or exceed the following requirements:
- Windows XP operating system, or later
- 128 MB of RAM
- Speakers or headphones
- Video card and monitor capable of a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels
- Internet Explorer 8.0 and higher for PC / Mozilla Firefox 3.6 and higher for PC / Google Chrome 17 and higher for PC. If using a Mac desktop or laptop, Safari, Chrome and Firefox typically work, however it is advised you install the latest version of Flash. We do NOT support iPad/iPhone/Android-based tablets and devices at this time.
- Pop-up blockers must be disabled
- Flash Player 10, however the latest version is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED
- Cookies must be allowed
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 or higher
- Broadband or company-provided Internet connection
J. J. Keller's Training On Demand
Our Interactive Online training programs are purchased using Training Points so you can get as much or as little training as you need. The Training Points you purchase can be used for any course on J. J. Keller's Training On Demand.
All our Interactive Online courses are accessed through Training On Demand, which features:
- Easy purchasing and planning for the training you need
- 24/7 access to all our interactive online and streamlining video programs
- Hundreds of training titles to choose from
- Free recordkeeping tool to track and report on all training activity
- Lower cost per student the more Training Points you purchase
- One year window from date of purchase to use your Training Points