Master Driver: Air Brakes - Online Training
- Covers important information drivers need to know about air brakes:
- Fundamentals of air brake techniques
- Mechanics and operation
- Helping drivers avoid crashes
- Down time
- Course keeps your drivers' attention with dramatic footage, dynamic graphics, 3-D animation, hazard perception challenge scenarios, and "Road Wise" commentary from seasoned transport pros.
Improper brake adjustment is the #1 reason tractor-trailers go out of service. In general, today's drivers are not as mechanically inclined as those in the past, and many don't understand the basic functions of air brakes and how to inspect them.
- Introduction – Explains that every CMV driver should understand how air brakes work, how to keep them properly maintained, and how to use them correctly so they don't wear out as fast or fail when they're needed the most.
- How Air Brakes Work – and How to Keep them Working Properly – Discusses the two systems which comprise air brakes: a service brake system, which is controlled with the brake pedal; and a spring brake system, which operates the parking and emergency brakes.
- Service Brakes – Explains how service brakes work, brake adjustment and push rod stroke, and what inspectors check to see if brakes are in compliance.
- Spring Brakes (Parking/Emergency) – Explains how and when spring brakes work and to have qualified mechanics do any adjustments.
- Trailer Brakes – Reviews trailer service brake function.
- Anti-lock Brakes (ABS) – Reviews ABS function.
- Using Your Air Brakes – Reviews the best way to use your air brakes, daily brake inspections, and problems you want to minimize or avoid and how.
- Skid Control & Recovery – Discusses what to do when you find yourself in a skid and how to safely recover.
- Conclusion – Emphasizes that you need to be diligent about pre-trip inspections, to be smart about braking, and to get your brakes checked regularly by a certified mechanic.
Approximately 45 minutes
To ensure full course functionality, your computer will need to meet or exceed the following requirements:
- Windows XP operating system, or later
- 128 MB of RAM
- Speakers or headphones
- Video card and monitor capable of a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels
- Internet Explorer 8.0 and higher for PC / Mozilla Firefox 3.6 and higher for PC / Google Chrome 17 and higher for PC. If using a Mac desktop or laptop, Safari, Chrome and Firefox typically work, however it is advised you install the latest version of Flash. We do NOT support iPad/iPhone/Android-based tablets and devices at this time.
- Pop-up blockers must be disabled
- Flash Player 10, however the latest version is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED
- Cookies must be allowed
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 or higher
- Broadband or company-provided Internet connection
J. J. Keller's Training On Demand
Our Interactive Online training programs are purchased using Training Points so you can get as much or as little training as you need. The Training Points you purchase can be used for any course on J. J. Keller's Training On Demand.
All our Interactive Online courses are accessed through Training On Demand, which features:
- Easy purchasing and planning for the training you need
- 24/7 access to all our interactive online and streamlining video programs
- Hundreds of training titles to choose from
- Free recordkeeping tool to track and report on all training activity
- Lower cost per student the more Training Points you purchase
- One year window from date of purchase to use your Training Points